Sunday 28 February 2016

Dialogue Distress

As with most things in software development, if something seems like it is easy to implement, then it probably is not. Turns out that getting your players to speak with others in the game is one of those things.

A few crude attempts at figuring out how our player can interact with the nurses in the hospital fell flat, since I completely underestimated how complex dialogue is. As much as I hate having to rely on things others have made for use in Unity games, I swallowed my pride and purchased a dialogue system from the Asset store for a frugal $5.

One of the reasons why I do not like relying on pre-made assets is because its usually a pain to implement a general asset into your unique special snowflake of a game, and who wants to read Read Me's and installation guides? Ain't nobody go time for that.

Anyway, I got it to work after a day, but am now faced with annoying, smaller problems. How do I stop the first-person camera and movement when the player is in a conversation? How do I allow the player the choice of killing the nurse, instead of simply talking to her? How do I make the dialogue display prettier? I shall figure this all out tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment